Thursday, May 29, 2008

Nasty Bits

Looking like summer in the northwestern metro



It is really is beginning to look like summer. Full leaves on the trees, flowers blooming, and baby geese and ducks are running around. Quite hard to believe that a mere month and three days ago we were dealing with this! :)

Today is rainy, but yesterday was nothing short of spectacular with temperatures in the low 70’s, no humidity, and a slight breeze, making for fantastic running. Lots of the usual suspect birds, once again, and this time I got to watch a gorgeous red-tailed hawk making lazy circles in the sky above me as I ran down the trail. I had a nice, spirited romp around the neighborhood and through the park.

Changing gears completely (just because I like food writing), over the weekend I picked up chef/author/TV host/world traveler/food writer Anthony Bourdain’s book, The Nasty Bits. Bourdain could write about nearly anything, and I would probably find it fascinating. He is kind of a curmudgeon (but in a good way), and his writing is laced with sarcasm, humor, and plenty of opinion and insight into food, cooking, fine dining, and the hospitality industry, among other things.

The book is a collection of articles and essays he has written. There have been some fantastic chapters on obesity in America, chefs and celebrity, and terroir and tradition vs. fusion and innovation in cooking. I am absolutely loving this.

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails