Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Recent birds, and working for the (long) weekend

I continue to see some spectacular birds, both during my runs, and also in my backyard. This week while running, I have seen new arrivals that include the Eastern kingbird, the rose-breasted grosbeak, and the gray catbird. Just outside of my window, the arrivals included a pair of great crested flycatchers, as well as a Lincoln’s sparrow (yet another new life lister for me!).

Over the past few days, I continue to see the adorable little Wilson’s warbler (I just love this guy…he is a complete spaz with a seemingly low attention span), along with plenty of Myrtle’s, American redstarts, and dozens of chipping sparrows. There is even a nesting pair of downy woodpeckers who make their home in a tree just off my deck. The birding has been incredibly enjoyable this spring.

I am starting get very excited. On Friday, I am heading up to Mom and Dad’s for a little vacation time. Normally I would visit over Memorial Day weekend, but this weekend coincides with a race up in my parents’ neck of the woods! With spring arriving late this year, the bird migration should just be getting started on the Shore, so I anticipate some good bird watching. Good food, as well! This will probably be my last post until I return next Wednesday, so I will talk to you when I get back!

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails