Monday, May 26, 2008

Weekend cooking

Today was supposed to be 71 and sunny. Instead, it was a cool 60 degrees, overcast, and windy as all heck! Hmmm...

I didn't end up doing too much today. A 5 mile run, and and some shopping at REI for energy gels and Barnes & Noble for a couple of books.

Most of my weekend involved food. Yesterday I prepared a delicious venison ragu with linguini. It is sort of a Bolognese-style sauce with tomato, wine, beef stock, mushrooms, and an assortment of aromatic veggies like celery, carrots, fennel, onion, and garlic. I enjoy making this sauce. It is so rich and flavorful, and the leftovers freeze well for quick weeknight pasta dinner.

I love Italian food!



Tonight, the meal was simple; it is kinda-sorta summer, so I made my first "BBT" of the season (bacon, basil, and tomato sandwich). I had some maple bacon from Knaus Sausage House which was beyond awesome. None of that greasy, water-added crap here; this bacon was meaty and lean. The tomatoes needed a little help, so I gave them a splash of aged balsamic vinegar. Yum! There will be many sandwiches on my menu this summer.

Possibly my favorite sandwich



Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails