Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sesquicentennial

First, I would like to invite you all to check out Rick’s blog where, in response to my story about Father’s Day 2002 at the boat landing, he posted his own story about an experience he had when launching a boat. It is great; not funny at the time, but funny in hindsight, and his dad turned it into a great teachable moment. Very cool!

It is finally starting to feel like summer around here. Yesterday’s run was around 80 degrees, but a very comfortable 80 with no humidity. We seem to have broken the rather damp weather pattern and have actually settled into a pretty decent stretch of weather. It has been a lot of fun running the past few afternoons.

In wildlife news, I am noticing numerous painted turtles along the trail edge. They are cute little guys, and they must enjoy basking in the sun. I have physically moved at least three of them to keep them from getting run over by bicyclists! Most of the birds are still in nesting mode, and I see the eagles and the kingbird along my route daily. I did get half-heartedly attacked by a papa red-winged blackbird, so I must have gotten too close to a nest! :)

Sunday dinner...beefy, Italian-inspired goodness



I did some good cooking over the weekend and have been subsisting on leftovers. I made a red wine braised beef roast with a sort of Italian style couscous, which was full of sun-dried tomatoes, basil, peas, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and two kind of beans (cranberry and garbanzo). The meal, and the resulting gravy from the braise, turned out to be a winner. At least, everyone sitting around me at work keeps asking what smells so good when I microwave my lunch!

This weekend should be fun. I am heading down to southern Minnesota with my family for the Norseland Sesquicentennial celebration!

Norseland is a small, unincorporated town neat St. Peter where my Mom grew up, and much like the State of Minnesota, they too are celebrating 150 years of existence. This is bound to be a classic Minnesota-style get together. In fact, not only is there a parade, but I will actually be in it! (Full report to follow, of course)

You only get to celebrate 150 years once, so we will make sure it is a good time! :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails