Saturday, October 25, 2008

The animals and birds know something

This morning I did my 11 mile run; a couple of laps around the lake. It was comfortable and in the low 40's, but a southwest wind was picking up. I ran well today and felt pretty spry.

Usually I see some interesting bird or animals, even if they are the usual suspects. I mean, there is always something to see, but today was a different story. Aside from a few ducks, sparrows, and juncos, I saw next to nothing. No bunnies, no chickadees or cardinals, and I don't even remember seeing a squirrel for that matter.

I am convinced that animals know more than we do when bad weather is upon us. Here is the latest forecast from our local National Weather Circus office:

Sunday: Scattered snow showers after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. Breezy, with a west northwest wind between 18 and 28 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday Night: Scattered snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Blustery, with a west northwest wind between 15 and 22 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%

Wow, tomorrow I had better hold onto my hat! Anyhow, I have observed this in the past, particularly during autumn. On days before some inclement weather is set to strike, the wildlife activity seems to diminish. Bear in mind this is just a personal observation without any real data to back it up. It just seems like they know something is up.

Of course, I only encountered four people during my run today, so that might mean everyone else is clued in, and perhaps I am just a little dense? :)

Following the run, I ran some errands, bought some groceries, stopped at Dehmer's Meats in St. Michael (awesome little German-style meat market, very old school) for some goodies, and had lunch at Culver's (mmmmm...ButterBurger!). Once I returned home, I prepared some beef to make homemade jerky tomorrow, and I whipped up a batch of pizza dough to have on hand for some dinners this week.

Whew! Busy Saturday thus far. But my day is not finished! I have a party to attend this evening. One of my coworkers is having a little shindig over at her new place overlooking Lake Minnetonka. Should be lots of friends from work in attendance and it promises to be a good time.

Bracing for the wind and snow flurries,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails