Thursday, October 23, 2008

More signs of winter

The latest weather forecast from WCCO. Here we go...



Forecast Details from the Weather Team
Sunday - Colder. Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow showers. Highs around 40.
Sunday Night - Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of snow showers. Lows 25 to 30.

Winter is on its way. Guess how I know?

The lobby of my apartment building has a piano. Back on Monday, I returned home from work and was walking to the lobby to pick up my mail. I heard some really beautiful music being played.

As I got closer, I realized it was...Christmas music! The woman playing was just finishing up "Silent Night" and was launching into "Hark, The Herald Angels Sing." She was actually quite a talent. I just found this kind of funny, given that we aren't even to Halloween yet. But, I guess Christmas decorations are starting to show up in some stores as well, so why not? :)

Also, the weather forecast for the weekend includes our first possible chance of snow on Sunday! It won't be the accumulating variety, I don't think (the air and the ground will still be too warm).

Whatever the case, the days of warmth are numbered. But, that does mean it is the season for soups, stews, and other comfort foods, so there is an equitable trade. Or at least I think so!

Yesterday it rained most of the day, but it stopped in the afternoon so I could run without getting wet. 41 degrees, overcast, and a little humid. This is the first run in a long time where I did not encounter a single person on the trails. I suspect the less than perfect day might have kept a few folks away, but I literally had the trails to myself.

I am seeing lots of juncos, as well as large numbers of robins that are flocking together. Most of the summer birds are out of here, so it has primarily been these later leaving birds that I have spotted on my runs around the neighborhood. Another sign that winter is upon us, I suppose! :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails