Monday, October 27, 2008

Party time! And, here comes the snow!

The King lives! A couple of my work buddies at this weekend's party.



This was a pretty full weekend. When I last left you, I had spent the better part of my Saturday running, shopping, as well as doing a lot of prep work in the kitchen. Satuday night I attended a friend's party.

I was not in costume, but many were, and there were some creative costumes at that. This was a really fun evening with lots of good food and drink. It was nice to hang out with several of my friends from work in a social situation away from the office. They are a fun (and funny) bunch!

More friends from work; Wonder Woman, Dr. Brennan from "Bones," and a 50's couple



The weather on Sunday was more than interesting. I ran 7 miles in the morning. Temperatures were relatively mild in the low 40's, but they were dropping fast. A strong wind had developed out of the northwest, and occasional gusts would almost stop you dead in your tracks. This was a tough run.

Around 10:30 or so, the first snowflakes of the season made their presence known! Even though I have lived in Minnesota all of my life, seeing the first snowflakes always seems quite surreal. There was no accumulation since it was far too warm, and the picture below taken from my deck doesn't do it much justice (nor does it show the 50 MPH wind gusts!). But you can at least see that the weather sucked! :)

Flurries on October 26th



So what does one do on a dreary, cold, and windy Sunday? You make chowder, of course! I whipped up a batch of seafood chowder, a recipe that is a creation of my Dad. The best way I can think to describe it is a kind of like a gumbo with no roux, and something of a cross between a Manhattan-style clam chowder (the red stuff) and cioppino. We have a tomato-based soup that is full of shrimp, crab, clams, as well as an assortment of veggies like potatoes, onions, garlic, celery, mushrooms, and carrots. It is seasoned with a Cajun seasoning blend, oregano, basil, crushed red pepper, bay leaves, and some herbes de Provence.

Sunday's seafood chowder



This is a tradition in our family to have a kettle of this the day before Thanksgiving, but I couldn't wait a month! A warming, comforting meal to dine on while watching the flurries fall outside.

The low temperature is supposed to be 18 tonight. Brrrr! Perhaps I will need to have another bowl of chowder this evening to warm me up? :)

Update: While we did not get any accumulating snow, they did get a little bit on the Gunflint Trail in northeastern Minnesota. Check out this post from Tuscarora Lodge. Gotta love October in Minnesota! :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails