Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Food and fun at Thanksgiving...and some running, too!

Thanksgiving weekend was a festive occasion with lots of fun with the family.

In addition to spending time in the out of doors, there was plenty to do inside as well. Thanksgiving weekend is a football fan’s paradise, and there were many great games to be watched (and much to my surprise, the Vikings won!). And the cat loves me; she is always excited when I come home and actually seems to recognize my car when I pull up to the house (if anyone else arrives, she hides!). And of course, there was great food.

The cat is always happy to see me



For our Thanksgiving dinner, our family has a tradition of being nontraditional. We always do something a little different (although we will always have a turkey at some point over the weekend).

This year, we had roast North Dakota pheasant, venison pot roast braised in red wine (oh, so tender!), and shrimp scampi. It was one of the better meals in recent memory. Everything was delicious, including all of the side dishes.

Our Thanksgiving dinner



As is our tradition, Mom and I made up a batch of homemade lefse, which many of you know is a traditional Scandinavian flatbread (kind of like a tortilla, but made with potatoes and flour) that accompanies meals during the holidays.

Making lefse is a two person job. Mom is the roller, and I am the fryer, and we make a pretty efficient team



The lefse turned out great. The dough looks and feels much like that of Italian potato gnocchi. Rolled out thin and cooked quickly on a hot griddle, it results in a lefse with a light, fluffy texture. This is Norwegian peasant food at its finest; the simplest and cheapest of ingredients, yet it is incredibly satisfying and tasty.

Most people sprinkle it with butter and sugar and eat it as a sweet/savory side dish. Personally, I like it straight up, but that is just me. However, I think all of us recoiled in horror when my brother made a mini burrito out of his, filled with mashed potatoes and pickled herring! Ick... :)

Lefse on the griddle



Oh, and there was a turkey dinner with all the fixings, which we had on Saturday. Mmmm...turkey dinner!

The traditional platter of turkey goodness



Given that this blog is supposedly related to running, perhaps I should talk about it! :)

Because I ate so much, it is a good thing I am a runner! I did manage to go running four times while I was up there. Nothing too difficult, just a few 5 milers and an 8 miler on Saturday.

The weather cooperated for the most part with temperatures being between 17 and 23 degrees during all of my runs. I was treated to an absolutely gorgeous sunrise on Wednesday, and I scared up a couple of grouse on another run. I had the dirt roads and trails virtually to myself, which is always a treat. I love running up north!

With another Thanksgiving in the books, the next trip up north will be at Christmas, which is only a few weeks away. I can’t wait to see everyone again.

Next up...Christmas!



I hope you all had a fun and memorable Thanksgiving!

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails