Saturday, January 24, 2009

A cassoulet kind of day

Another cold snap is upon us. I awakened to -12 with a -27 wind chill. A runnin' we will go! :)

I put in 5 miles this morning. As expected, I was the only one out there and had the trails to myself. The only signs of life were chickadees and crows, but I was treated to a gorgeous arctic sunrise over the lake.

The snow packed trails crunched loudly as I ran. Good traction today, for sure. My face mask was completely frosted over, and the eyelashes on my right eye froze together, making it a little tough to see towards the end.

I still had a great run! I was actually pretty speedy today. Perhaps one is just more anxious to get inside on days like this?

Believe it or not, there was a local race going on today. I have never done this one before, but the St. Paul Winter Carnival hosts a half marathon. I heard on the news this morning that the distance was cut in half due to the cold (they have some rule where they will shorten the distance if the temperature reaches a certain threshold, and if the temperature is -25 or worse, they would cancel the race altogether!).

As you can see from the picture below, it didn't warm up all that much when I went out to run some errands later...

My dashboard thermometer this morning; The Silver Hornet says, "It's cold!" :)



With the running and shopping done, it seemed like a great day to stay inside and make the perfect cold weather dish. What could be better on a below zero day than a steaming kettle of baked beans with meat and sausages? I am talking about cassoulet!

Lamb shanks, an assortment of sausages, and three kinds of beans, cooked low and slow in the oven for several hours. Now there is some cold weather comfort food for you. Delicious.

Cassoulet of the Gods



It is supposed to be -14 overnight, so I will be preparing for another chilly run in the AM. Good thing I have leftover cassoulet to warm me up! :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails