Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Roast

Sunday morning greeted me with 13 degrees and snow flurries. I put in 7 miles on the trails. There was virtually no wind, so even though the temperature was only 13, it still felt quite nice. I only met one other person, a runner (and she was fast!).

The trails were not quite as slushy as yesterday. It looked as if they had run a plow on the trails since yesterday to clean them off, so the extra effort was appreciated!

Since it is Sunday, and since it is winter and the time for comfort food, dinner tonight was a good 'ol fashioned beef pot roast.

I found a gorgeous beef chuck on sale at my local grocery store, so my menu this weekend was a no-brainer. I braised the roast in the oven for several hours in a flavorful liquid consisting of diced carrots, fennel bulb, red onion, garlic, tomato paste, red wine, beef stock, and a bouquet garni. I added some large chunks of carrots and potatoes about half way through the cooking process.

All hail the pot roast



I removed the roast, carrots, and potatoes. Then I strained the braising liquid, returned it to the heat and thickened it up. The result? A moist, tender roast beef with carrots, potatoes, and very flavorful dark gravy.

Oh yeah, that's good pot roast. :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails