Thursday, January 22, 2009

Traction control

The last two days of running have been fantastic. Temps around 30 degrees, very little wind, and just plain 'ol nice for January!

I ran my normal 5 miles yesterday, and I put in 8 1/2 tonight (just because the weather forecast looks interesting for the weekend, and I wasn't sure if I would be able to get in a semi long run!). The trails are good, with some snow pack and even some bare areas.

About half way though my run, I met another runner. I had seen this guy out here a couple times before and we always exchange a wave and a hello (as do most runners in these parts). Today he stopped to ask me a question about my shoes.

He was curious how my traction was on the snow packed trails because he noticed I was just wearing regular running shoes. I told him I had no issues on these surfaces, and that if there was more snow, I would just wear trail running shoes.

He showed me these things that were strapped to his shoes called Yack Tracks. They were these chain-like cleats that clamped over your shoes, designed to give you additional grip for running on slippery surfaces. He told me they were great on the snow pack, but he was having problems running across the parts of the trail that were now bare pavement. When he hit the pavement, he said it was like hitting ice in regular shoes. Treacherous!

I told him I had never worn anything like that, and I have never had many problems. These surfaces were actually pretty friendly, but that I always take care when I come to areas that look slippery. He thanked me, we both exchanged out appreciation that it is no longer snowing 2-3 inches every other day like is did in December and early January, and we went on our way. It is not every day I get to dispense my own personal running opinions on the trail!

On the way back, I saw one of the resident bald eagles lurking around his nest. It is getting close to that time last year when the pair started to nest, so it appears as if they will be back for another year (or at least I hope so, because they were fun to watch). And, since it was a nice day, my buddy the wire-hair terrier was out in the yard, straining on his leash, and barking like crazy at me. But now at least I know he is all talk and secretly loves me! :)

Unrelated to anything, I am deliriously excited that "Lost" is back with new episodes. Last night's season premiere was very intriguing, and I am anxious to see where it goes from here. I just loooooove this show! :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails