Saturday, February 28, 2009

A beautiful 2 degrees

I woke up this morning a little nervous about last night's weather forecast. They were predicting -8 in my neighborhood with a wind chill of -10 to -15. Last couple weekend was tough to do a long run because of really cold weather and unplowed trails. I was really hoping this wouldn't happen two weekends in a row.

Luckily, it never got quite that cold. I checked the temperature when I returned home from my run and it was 2 degrees.

But it was a beautiful 2 degrees! :)

There was no wind today, which was a blessing. Equally as nice was the fact that there was not a cloud in the sky with the sun shining brightly. Because of that, things felt warmer than they actually were. This enabled me to do a nice 13 1/2 mile run instead of having to settle for something shorter.

Giving credit where credit is due, the road crews did an amazing job digging us out from Thursday's storm. The roads are clear, as are all of my trails. The guys who plow the park were all over it and did marvelous work. This made for easy running.

Very few people out and about this morning. I saw all of four people, three of whom appeared to be runners from a marathon training group. By the time I returned home, my eyelashes were nearly frozen together, and my entire head was frosted over. I saw my reflection in the window of the door when I entered my building, and I looked as if I had been trekking to the North Pole. Well, it was 2 degrees, after all.

Tonight's dinner was baked spaghetti with Italian sausage. What made it extra special was that it was prepared with a jar of excellent homemade pasta sauce that my Mom and Dad canned with their fresh tomatoes last fall. Yum!

Baked spaghetti on a chilly night



I really like this dish. You get a wonderful contrast of textures with the crispy noodles and cheese on top, and then you have the softer noodles on the inside, along with a spicy red sauce chock full of Italian sausage, mushrooms, and olives. A great way to fuel up after a long run, and to warm up on a chilly day.

And it is a good thing I have plenty of leftovers to help warm me up. The weather geeks are calling for -3 tonight (which is the first day of March, mind you...wow!).

Staying near the fireplace,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails