Monday, February 16, 2009

Remembering and reconnecting

Sunday started with a pleasant 7 mile run. We had a crisp 7 degrees, but the morning was beautiful, clear, and calm, making it much more tolerable than it sounds.

I was treated to another gorgeous sunrise. And in spite of the cold, again I heard many cardinals and chickadees singing (I am not sure what is going on with them, but I don’t recall them singing so much this early in the year). I also flushed a red-tailed hawk from his perch along the wooded trail. I am starting to see more and more of the big hawks now. I do see a few here and there in the winter, but I suspect they are slowly making their way up here again. Sign of spring? Here is hoping!

Later in the morning, I hopped in The Silver Hornet and headed north to my hometown. I was meeting up with my family to attend a memorial service for Jane, a teacher at my old school.

As sad as the occasion was, this ended up being a great event. I got to see so many former teachers (I even hugged my Kindergarten teacher, who is still teaching, as well as my Sunday school teacher from way back), shook hands with many of my coaches, and saw so many schoolmates and members of the community from years gone by. For my brother, it was practically a class reunion, as a significant number of his graduation class attended the service. This was also being held right at the school, so we walked through and toured the old elementary school building (much smaller than I remember!) and parts of the newer high school.

I have decided that there needs to be some etiquette followed at these gatherings that end up being something of a reunion; asking “Do you remember who I am?” to someone you have not seen in 15 to 20 years is not very fair. I got asked, and was consequently stumped by, this question no less than four times yesterday, and twice I embarrassingly guessed incorrectly. So please, simply take a moment to reintroduce yourself, if for no other reason than to make me look like less of an ass for forgetting your name! :)

There were hundreds in attendance, and many kind words spoken by friends, fellow colleagues, and former students. It was impressive to see the lasting impact that one person can have on a community. The day was a very nice tribute to Jane.

My trip home was quick with very light traffic for a Sunday evening. I was pretty tired when I got back to the apartment. Thanks to the magic of the DVR, I was able to watch the Daytona 500 in about 45 minutes (congratulations, Mr. Kenseth!). And having made some fresh dough the previous day, dinner was very quick and easy; I whipped up a homemade veggie pizza topped with red bell peppers, red onions, green olives, fresh asparagus spears, and three cheeses (mozzarella, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and fresh goat). It has been awhile since I made homemade pizza, so this was something of a treat. Yummy! A good way to cap off what was really a nice day of remembering and reconnecting.

Sunday night's pizza



Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails