Monday, March 16, 2009

Six days until race season!

I am starting to get a little excited. The temperature was a ridiculously beautiful 64 today (keep in mind that a mere four days ago, the Twin Cities registered an official low of -4!). After a warm weekend, our snow is gone, baby! People are walking around in shorts and t-shirts. This weather rules.

And this coming Sunday marks the start of my 2009 race season! On March 22nd, I will be joining many of Minnesota’s die hard runners at the 2009 St. Patrick’s Day Human Race 8k over in St. Paul. I look forward to this event every year, and it is the one race that will always be on my calendar.

The 2009 St. Patrick's Day Human Race logo, from The Sporting Life's website



In many ways, the Human Race race marks the start of the Minnesota race season in general. It is one of the first “big” races of the year, routinely drawing well over a thousand runners just in the 8k alone. It is also billed as one of the fastest 8k races in the state, so this one brings out a lot of the heavy hitters. A great way to kick off a new season and greet the start of spring, no doubt.

This race also holds a special significance for me. I started running in the spring of 2004. The following spring in 2005, the Human Race was the first “official” race that I ran. I have done it every year since. So the upcoming 2009 edition will be my 5th anniversary. Pretty cool!

Here we go! I am looking forward to a new season.

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails