Sunday, March 08, 2009

Tangerine Chicken, and "Dumb & Dumber" revisited

"Josephine,
you're so sweet,
you must taste just like sugar
and tangerines."

The Wallflowers, Josephine

Mmmmm...tangerines. I love tangerines. Jakob Dylan of The Wallflowers must like them too if that was one of the first things he thought about when writing the song "Josephine." And since I found some very tasty tangerines at the market, why not incorporate some into my dinner?

Tonight I made a tangerine chicken stir-fry. The recipe was loosely based on this dish from Guy Fieri.

Let me preface by saying Guy is not my favorite of the Food Network chefs. I'm not a fan of all the flash and the cutesy catch phrases. In fact, Anthony Bourdain equated him to the "Poochie" character in the Simpson's episode where they were trying create a cleverly marketed sidekick for "Itchy & Scratchy." But, I will give Guy some credit in that the recipe looked darn tasty, so I thought I would give it a whirl.

If you looked at a the recipe, the first thing you probably noticed is that it contains no chicken; it is for tangerine beef. However, I decided I wanted to do this with chicken, and chicken is an easy substitute. I also added red bell peppers, water chestnuts, and snow peas, just because I needed vegetables, as well as some color and contrasting textures.

Actually, the only thing I lifted from Guy's recipe is the sauce mixture, and I didn't even follow that exactly. I used white wine instead of sherry, and I threw some fresh grated ginger directly into the sauce for an added boost of flavor.

Tonight's Tangerine Chicken Stir-Fry



A delicious dish, with a nice sweet and spicy flavor, not unlike something you might see with a sesame chicken or General Tso's chicken dish. The stir-fry was very spicy, actually! Of course, there was chili-garlic sauce in the sauce mixture itself, but I also stir-fried the chicken with a few dried japones chilies, as well as some crushed red pepper. I was also glad I added veggies. Stir-fries should always have veggies!

Good recipe for the sauce, Guy! I will make this again, perhaps with beef next time.

Given all of the food banter, you have probably realized that I did not run today. It was a scheduled day off after the 15 miler. Part of the reason I scheduled this as a day off is because we were supposed to get snow, but that never happened. Two days ago they were calling for 2 to 4 inches in my neighborhood, and we didn't see so much as a flake. In fact, the sun is shining right now!

Tuesday still looks to be awful. Parts of central MN could see more than a foot (yes, as in 12 inches) of snow. However, some uncertainty remains as to the temperature, path of the storm, and possible snowfall amounts. Here is hoping they are wrong about this one too.

Unrelated to anything, I watched the movie "Dumb & Dumber" last night. It was on TBS, so I needed to tune in. I love this movie and had not seen it in quite some time.

Harry and Lloyd, en route to Aspen



This movie still makes me laugh pretty hard. And I was astonished to see that this movie was released in 1994 and is now 15 years old. How is this even possible?!?

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails