Wednesday, April 01, 2009

April Fools snow, part two

So it is April Fools Day, and I am looking out the window to see a dusting of snow on the grass (no fooling). Oddly reminiscent of a scene from the movie "Groundhog Day," this is last year on April Fools Day. Spring is here, correct? :)

Other than this dusting of snow, the latest winter storm really didn’t pan out for the Twin Cities, which is fine with me. Unfortunately the heavy stuff tracked northwest of here, exactly where they didn’t need it. We got mostly rain, and even a brief hail storm yesterday.

Monday's run was 44 degrees, overcast, and quite windy. A couple of gusts nearly blew my hat off, but at least the temperature was pleasant. I also got to see two swans (my first of the year) flying up out of the creekbed. I presume they were tundra swans and not the less common trumpeter swans (they are hard to tell apart from a distance).

Yesterday's run was also in the low 40's. Kind of a strange day as noted earlier. Overcast skies and mist quickly turned to some spotty sunshine. Then it clouded over again. But it was nice running. No new birds to report from this excursion, although I did hear the pileated woodpecker cackling from deep in the swamp.

For dinner on Monday night, I tried out some of the homemade spaghetti pasta that I made over the weekend. I cooked up a quick and easy Italian dish called “spaghetti all’Amatriciana,” which is essentially pasta tossed in a sauce of tomatoes and bacon. While traditionally made with the hollow bucatini pasta, spaghetti is often used as well.

Spaghetti all'Amatriciana with homemade pasta



The homemade pasta has a distinct chewy texture that is different from your dried pasta, and the sauce clings to the noodles beautifully. Really very good, and quite a treat. I need to make fresh pasta more often. It does take some time, but if you are just making noodles as opposed to stuffed pasta such as ravioli, the time it takes will be a lot less. Definitely worth the effort, and not that difficult to do.

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails