Friday, April 24, 2009

Leaves, Dutchman's breeches, Dayglo, roofing, and pizza

Welcome to spring! Green leaves are popping out everywhere!



Our 83 degrees yesterday has kicked spring into high gear. This is so great to see!

Today was in the upper 60's, windy, and pretty overcast. This is something of a calm before the storm, as they are predicting rain and possible thunderstorms for the next three days (we need rain, but this is something you come to expect living in MN...rain just in time for the weekend!).

Running was very nice this afternoon. I did my 5 miler and enjoyed all the new signs of spring that are emerging everywhere. The leaves have exploded over the last two days, so there is a beautiful green tint to all the trees. I saw a new bird today, a pied-billed grebe diving around out in the bay of the lake. And the forest floor is covered with Dutchman's breeches. It is a beautiful time to be in Minnesota right now.

A cluster of Dutchman's breeches along the trail



I also saw something strange on my run. Clearly, it is prom night for one of the local schools. A family was down by the swamp taking picture of a guy in a tux and a girl in a neon Dayglo pink nightgown. Egads! Those Dayglo colors were all the rage in the 80's. Are they cool again? Maybe my high school wardrobe has come back in style! :) Anyhow, this is not something one usually encounters along the trail.

Unrelated to anything, they are re-shingling my building. We are on Day 4 of generators, nail guns, pounding, and debris falling past my windows and crashing into the ground, and this is still going on as I type. And it looks like they still have a lot of work to do. Of course, when I arrive home from work, it always seems like there are about eight to ten roofers milling around the parking lot. I want to remind them that the parking lot doesn't need to be re-shingled, but I am assuming they knew that already. :) Hopefully they will be done soon!

Dinner was homemade pizza consisting of Boar's Head pepperoni, artichoke hearts, and green olives with mozzarella, asiago, and Pecorino Romano cheeses. A great way to finish off a busy week and to start off the weekend right!

Tonight's pizza; a clear violation of any school's "wellness policy," but nourishing for the soul. :)



Good luck to those of you racing this weekend!

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails