Monday, June 15, 2009

Attack of the red-winged blackbird

Let me just get this out of the way first; last night's homemade meatballs and red sauce over spaghetti. Yum!

Mama mia!



It finally happened; I was on my easy 5 mile run this afternoon, and for the first time this season, I was attacked by a red-winged blackbird. He was fluttering over my head like a hummingbird and chirping at me incessantly. This occurs every year about this time. I figure the babies must have hatched. These dudes are pretty fearless when defending their nest. I've never been pecked by one, but I have come close. I suppose I will have to dodge these guys in the coming weeks!

On an unrelated and humorous note; I should preface that I don't watch the NBA much anymore, but I caught part of the halftime show a couple of games ago (game 4, I think). They ran a piece on Bill Russell having a conversation with Dwight Howard from the Magic. It was really a nice story because Russell is a legend and such a classy guy, and Howard seemed fairly humble and eager to learn from the master.

The story ends and they cut back to the talking heads on the halftime show. The host lobs a question to the great Magic Johnson, asking "Magic, what can Dwight Howard learn from Bill Russell?"

Magic's response: "Well, he can learn about offense AND defense!"

I was thinking how fortunate this would be for Howard; why, in basketball, they just happen to play both offense and defense! :)

Loved the insight, Magic. We have long since established that most athletes shouldn't be role models. Apparently many of them shouldn't be TV analysts either. ;-)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails