Sunday, June 07, 2009

Cassoulet in June

It is 55 degrees today. 55! So I made cassoulet.

Hot out of the oven



My aunt had given me a pheasant a few months back. I decided to use that to make a sort of wild game style cassoulet, along with a mix of a few different sausages.

I also used three kinds of beans (2/3rd navy, the remaining 1/3rd a mix of cranberry and Christmas lima beans). Additional ingredients included bacon, carrots, onions, celery, garlic, flat leaf parsley, fresh thyme, bay leaves, herbs de Provence, tomato paste, white wine, and chicken stock. Some panko bread crumbs were added towards the end to give it a nice crust.

The finished product; Three bean cassoulet with pheasant and mixed sausages



The cassoulet turned out excellent. It all came together really well, and the flavor was dynamite. The chunks of pheasant were tender and moist from being braised, the sausages and bacon added a nice smoky flavor, and the three kinds of beans offered a pleasant contrast in texture. I will not hesitate to call this my best cassoulet effort to date. Now, if I had just written down precise amounts and procedures... :)

And, I would like to point out that I just made winter comfort food. In June.

Brrrrrr,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails