Saturday, June 27, 2009

A run in the rain, and Saturday pizza

Saturday morning greeted me with a light drizzle and temperatures around 70. I did an 11 mile run again.

The light drizzle was pleasant, but it gradually turned into some locally heavy rain showers, which means I got absolutely soaked. I even heard a couple rumbles of thunder in the last mile. I know they have some pretty cool home theater technology these days, but Mother Nature still has the best "surround sound" system. Hearing thunder when you are outside is cool!

There must have been some minor storm action last night, although I was not awakened by it. I discovered a huge tree limb that had snapped off and blocked the whole trail, so I had to do a bit of climbing to get around it!

In spite of the rain, I did have a few wildlife encounters. I saw a mere 3 bunnies (a .27 BPM), but they were no doubt hunkered down due to the weather. The rain didn't slow down the robins and catbirds. They were numerous. I also saw a pair of broad-winged hawks who were whistling loudly (I know they have a nest nearby, as I have seen them in this location before). And, I stopped to chat with a deer. A doe was standing in the woods perhaps 15 feet off the trail. I just started talking to her, and she could have cared less. She didn't even move after I resumed running. The deer's summer coat is really reddish colored right now. Very pretty!

I had not made homemade pizza in ages, so I decided that tonight's dinner was the perfect occasion to return to pizza making. They were selling these little boxes of mixed, baby heirloom tomatoes at the grocery store, so I decided to use them, along with some pancetta, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil. The tomatoes were delightfully sweet, and the pizza turned out fantastic. I love homemade pizza.

Pizza with heirloom tomatoes, pancetta, fresh mozzarella, and basil



Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails