Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Don't leave home without it

As of late, I have rarely been running without my camera. For some reason, yesterday I forgot to take it with me.

It should come as no surprise that this would be the day I encounter a mama deer with her spotted fawn less than a half mile into my run. They even stopped in an open area to watch me go by!

Later in the run, I ran into yet another deer in a wooded area along the trail. She was sharing a grassy patch with one of my resident bunnies. Both of them also stopped what they were doing to check me out. I started laughing. All that was missing was Mr. Bluebird on my shoulder and it would have been a Disney cartoon come to life.

Remember your camera next time, dummy. :)

But, the camera was with me on Sunday morning. That was my day off from running, so I got up early and headed out to Elm Creek for what ended up being a really nice 2 1/2 hour hike. Lots of good birds, including several common yellowthroats (this has been a fantastic year for them; I have seen more this season that ever before), and I even got scolded by a pair of indigo buntings, obviously getting too close to their nest. Flowers are blooming, butterflies are cruising around, and it truly looks like summer.

Here are a few photos from Sunday:

Mud Lake at the Elm Creek Park Reserve



The sumac is starting to turn a reddish color



Here is the brilliant papa indigo bunting that was upset with me. His camouflage is not very good! :)



Daisies along the edge of the trail



And, once I got home from the park, I made bacon-wrapped meat loaf, sour cream and chive mashed potatoes, and asparagus for Sunday's dinner (the leftovers have been making for the best cold meat loaf sandwiches, too!)



Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails