Sunday, August 16, 2009

Running, sweating, and roasting chicken

I got up at 5 AM to go running on Saturday in order to beat the heat. Turns out there was really no good way to beat it! Temperatures were already in the low 70's with a dew point in very close proximity. Steamy and hot, even before sunrise. Not good. I still managed 15 miles, although the last few were not easy. By the time I finished, I was positively drenched. Summer running at its finest. :)

The highlight of the run can be seen below. Not a good photo; the sun had not come up yet, so lighting was poor and I had to adjust the exposure big time. But you can sort of make out the spots on the little one. I stopped to chat with them, as they were in no hurry. Mama slowly led the little guy to the woods and let him enter first, and she stayed between me and the fawn. Then she sauntered into the woods herself once she realized there was no danger. Very cool! I also got to see a Cooper's hawk at very close range (he was being pestered by a flock of angry songbirds), but I did not get a picture. :(

Mama deer with her fawn seen during a hot August run



Saturday's dinner was a good one. I made Giada's balsamic roasted chicken, but I added my own twist. I followed the amounts listed in the recipe for the marinade (adding some fresh oregano), but otherwise I winged it and did my own thing. In the same roasting pan, I added new potatoes and cherry tomatoes that had been tossed in a simple vinaigrette of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, fresh oregano, crushed red pepper, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Roast in a 350 degree oven for about an hour until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear, and voilĂ !

Balsamic roasted chicken with roasted new potatoes and cherry tomatoes, fresh green beans, and sweet corn



The skin on the chicken gets this beautiful, dark lacquered color, and the meat stays incredibly moist when cooked (leftovers make for excellent chicken salad, by the way). I served this up with some Minnesota grown green beans and sweet corn. Summer on a plate, baby! :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails