Saturday, November 14, 2009

Decking the halls

I put my Christmas lights in my window this week - nothing too fancy, just a strand to decorate the window sill. It is the earliest I have ever done so, but I noticed some of my neighbors had a fully decorated tree glimmering away, so I thought I would join the party. With the beautiful Santa quilt that Mom gave me hanging on my wall, it is beginning to look a lot like Christmas at Jean's place!

'Tis the season



We are entering my favorite time of year. Fall is the best season, and I think when most people say that, they are referring to early fall, when the leaves are at their brilliance and you still have some warmer days. I absolutely love the later part of fall in November and December.

While the leaves are gone, the days grow shorter, and the temperatures start to drop, there is still something really neat about it. With colder days, we are now entering the best months for hearty stews, soups, and other comfort foods. Football season is really heating up. Perhaps it is because it is such an exciting, drastic change of season where we go from gorgeous leaves to a stark landscape with an impending chance of snow in such a short period of time? It certainly doesn't hurt that Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and Christmas not long after that. Nice!

I ran 11 miles this morning. It was about 43 degrees, overcast, not much wind, and an occasional light mist. Still, it was warm enough that I could wear shorts! Not too bad for November 14th. The run was good. I hoofed it around my neighborhood and only encountered two people the entire time (a guy walking a dog, and another runner). Didn't see a lot in the way of wildlife, however I did hear a great horned owl hooting from down in the creek bottoms as the sun was coming up. And that alone was worth the price of admission.

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails