Sunday, November 01, 2009

Sausage!

One of my projects this weekend was making some homemade breakfast sausage. I have not made homemade sausage in a long time, and I just got some casings, so it was good excuse to spend some time in the kitchen.

I made the breakfast sausage recipe from Ruhlman's and Polcyn's book, Charcuterie. It consists of pork shoulder butt loaded with fresh sage, fresh ginger, a little garlic, salt and pepper. I added crushed red pepper, just because I am a wild man, and just about anything is better with crushed red pepper. :)

I ground everything together with the KitchenAid meat grinder, hooked up the sausage stuffer attachment and stuffed everything into my small sized casings, twisted them into 4-inch links, and viola!

The finished product; breakfast sausage links



It takes some time to do all of this (especially when you are doing it by yourself), and it is definitely a project. But it is totally worth it, and the results would put Jimmy Dean out of business if everyone did this. These sausages have great flavor, with the sage and fresh ginger really shining through.

Fresh breakfast sausage along side of some fresh grated hash brown potatoes and a poorly turned French omelette!



The only thing I will do differently next time is use a coarser grind. The recipe said to use the small die on the grinder, which produced a sausage with a very soft texture. I would prefer it a little firmer to the bite. But these were very tasty nonetheless. And I have a a few pounds of these in my freezer for future breakfasts, which, as Martha Stewart would say, is a good thing.

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails