Wednesday, November 04, 2009

V

Last night I watched the premiere "V" on ABC. I am old enough to remember the "V" miniseries from the early 80's that this new show is "reimagined" from (exact word used on my cable guide - apparently "reimagined" sounds better than "borrowed," "lifted," or "we had no new ideas"). I seem to remember the miniseries being kind of a big deal. Of course, we only had three channels back then, so it was kind of hard to avoid the hype! :)

One of the things that has always bothered me about sci-fi shows/movies featuring spaceships the size of cities is that they would be seemingly implausible to build. Can you imagine the manufacturing facility needed to create a craft of this magnitude? It would have to be larger than an entire metro area, and this could never happen.

And even if it could happen, the fuel needed to propel such a craft would be off the charts, right? I get 35 MPG at best with my little Silver Hornet. Imagine the mileage "The Visitors" get with those beastly ships! I can't see how you would have enough fuel to make it to earth from a galaxy far, far away, and I am assuming the Milky Way is not dotted with Kwik Trip gas stations at every off ramp. As an aside - this also make me wonder - would an alien government ever offer some sort of rebate program to trade in your spaceship on a more fuel efficient model? "Sawbucks for Spaceships," perhaps? ;-)

Despite these quibbles, I am capable of suspending my disbelief. And I think I will keep watching because:
  • "Anna," the leader of The Visitors, is hot
  • The actress who plays "Juliet" on the TV series "Lost" also stars in "V" - she, too, is hot
(Apparently I have some rather relaxed criteria for selecting my TV shows)

Yesterday's run was performed in 38 degrees and pouring down rain. I don't mind running in the rain, but the ice cold raindrops on my face made things feel rather chilly! Of note, I saw a double-crested cormorant on the lake, so some stragglers are still heading south. And I encountered seven deer. The deer, all does, were standing together eating the freshly mowed weeds and grasses in the meadow of the park. They barely moved as I ran by.

Darrell has suggested posting the "after" photo of the pretty yellow tree that no longer has leaves. I remembered the camera on today's run, so here we go. What a different a week makes... :)

Wednesday, October 28, 2009



Wednesday, November 4, 2009 (these leaves were actually gone by Nov 1st!)



As you can see, it officially looks like November!

The weather was slightly nicer on today's run. 42, no rain, overcast, and still kind of breezy. I saw a pair of horned grebes on my local pond, so that was a good find. Oh, and four of those seven deer came out to greet me. Three of them made the photo.

One of the deer snorted at me and stomped her hoof when the flash went off! But, they never moved.



Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails