Sunday, December 06, 2009

Chilly Sunday

I went for an easy 5 mile run on Sunday morning. The temperature was only 11 degrees, but winds were calm, and my new running suit kept me warm.

Once again, I was out before the sun had risen. One of the resident eagles was roosting close to the nest, so I could see his/her silhouette. And, as I made my way through the wooded area, I saw three deer sleeping on the forest floor. That's right, I was awake before the eagle and the deer this morning. :)

In fact, I only saw two other people the entire time, so the wildlife outnumbered humans. The sun just started to peek above the horizon as I was finishing up. A gorgeous, chilly Sunday.

And a good day for soup! Today I made a batch of my chicken noodle soup. The recipe is a little time-consuming, but it is worth it. And I am loving it that the temperatures are colder now because it makes de-fatting a stock so much easier when you have access to a walk-in freezer (my balcony, that is!).

Chicken noodle soup with two kinds of noodles



I made this with two different kinds of small pasta - capellini spezzati (tiny little bits of angel hair pasta) and farfalline (tiny little butterfly-shaped pasta). This made for a nice textural contrast, and the soup was yummy to eat while watching football!

And, so much for that nice weather we were having less than a week ago - a Winter Storm Watch has been issued for my area Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday with possible blizzard conditions. It isn't even officially winter yet! ;-) Stay tuned...

Bundling up,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails