Saturday, December 05, 2009

Suit up

What a difference a few days make. Tuesday I was running in 44 degrees. Friday it was 19 with snow flurries. This morning was 15 with a wind chill of 9. Winter has finally started to show up. And it is giving me a chance to try out my snazzy new winter running suit!

Ready for winter running



This morning I did 11 miles before sunup. Despite the chill, it was a gorgeous morning. Some areas of the trails were dusted with a layer of snow, so it was my first chance to get my "winter legs" back. Skies were clear with many stars, and the bright light of a waning gibbous moon lit the way for me. A layer of ice has started to form on my local lake. On the north end, where there were still some pockets of open water, hundreds of geese and ducks were congregated. Quite a sight! And a fun morning to run. My new winter running suit is awesome, both warm and breathable. It should serve me well in the coming months.

Aside from a few errands, today is devoted mostly to watching college football, which has been on nonstop since I got home. However, I did make it into the kitchen to prepare some chocolate-covered peanut butter crisp squares this afternoon (recipe here). They are like mini Rice Krispie bars covered in chocolate. I followed the recipe exactly, except that I used dark chocolate chips, and I used chunky peanut butter, because that is how I roll (I don't do the creamy stuff!). Fun and easy to make, and quite yummy. I am glad I used dark chocolate, too. Mmmmmm....

Chocolatey, crispy, peanut buttery goodness...



Dinner was easy. I roasted a Swedish potato sausage that I bought at Thielen's in Pierz some time ago. Yum, I love Swedish potato sausage. Even if I am mostly Norwegian. :)

Swedish potato sausage



Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails