Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I wore shorts in January

It was all of 9 degrees tonight with a wind chill of -10, but I couldn't stand it anymore. I had to go running in shorts!

(OK, so I did my running indoors...)

I checked out the Plymouth Fieldhouse dome tonight. I had heard rumors of its existence for awhile now - a small track that goes around the outside of an indoor athletic field, opened up to runners in the winter, and free of charge, even. Sounds too good to be true, right? My trail conditions suck so bad right now that I was willing to try anything.

I am embarrassed to say I had no idea where this place was until today. Turns out it was practically right on my way home. I found it no problem, and the rumors were true! I ended up having a great run in a comfortable 55 degree environment.

It wasn't too crowded on the track - just a handful of runners when I was there, and perhaps four times as many walkers. There were some soccer, rugby, and lacrosse practices going on in the center (I am a country boy - those sports are completely foreign to me!), so a loose ball occasionally squirted onto the track, but otherwise it was a pleasant experience.

Able to free myself from the shackles of winter running gear, I felt speedy and nimble. While not ideal (no birds to watch, scenery never changes, having to remember what lap I am on), at least I didn't have any ice to contend with. I did 33 laps around the track (1 mile = roughly 5 1/4 laps), good for about a 10k. I will be utilizing this place more often on crappy days in the winter.

There is something about a place that opens its doors to people so they can run inside during the bitter cold winter months that strikes me as being very Minnesotan. I love it!

Digging the shorts in January,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails