Friday, January 08, 2010

Knowing your distances

Yesterday's run was kind of interesting. We had received a little bit of snow overnight and earlier in the day. Not much at all, perhaps no more than an inch. But then the northwest winds cranked up. The temperature during my run was a crisp 8 degrees with a wind chill of -9.

The trails had been plowed the previous day, but thanks to the wind, some drifting was occurring in the open areas. There were a few places where I busted though drifts of fluffy snow that were close to a foot deep. It was a wild winter run!

On days like this, I hardly ever see any people on the trails. Once again this was true, and I only encountered two other folks. One was a guy trying to cross country ski on the trail's edge - there is no grooming that happens here, so he was having a difficult time.

The other person I saw was a lady who was running, and she actually flagged me down to ask a question.

"Excuse me, but do you know how far it is around the lake?"

(Do I know how far it is around the lake? Does Giada De Laurentiis make some mean Italian food?)

"Yes I do!" I exclaimed in a muffled voice through my full face mask. "It is exactly 3.7 miles around if you follow the trail closest to the edge of the lake."

"Oh, OK," she replied. "How about the trail that takes me back to the main road?"

"You mean the one that goes under the bridge?" I asked. "That is another .5 to the road."

"Oh...great, thanks very much!"

Did she ask the right person or what? ;-)

With a look that combined appreciation for the information with a quizzical "Who is this nerd?" expression, she was on her way. I thought about warning her of the snow drifts that were about .7 mile in the direction she was heading, but that might have been too over the top.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails