Sunday, January 31, 2010

Same 'ol, same 'ol...

I ran on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday at the dome in Plymouth. Friday included 53 laps for a shade over 10 miles. It was actually kind of nice because there were very few people on the track, so I had plenty of space and didn't have to navigate through a sea of walkers. It is nice to have the indoor option.

Saturday was a day off, and I ran a short 5 miles this morning...outdoors, even! It was 4 degrees with a slight breeze, but that didn't feel all that chilly. The trails and sidewalks are still slick in places, but I found some routes that were pretty well cleared off, so that was OK for running. We could supposedly get a dusting of snow Monday. I am actually hoping we do, because that will give the trails a coating for some additional traction.

This weekend has been fairly uneventful, and actually, kind of boring. There is nothing on for sports right now, and it is still pretty cold out. So I might as well spend more time in the kitchen.

Saturday I made a pizza yesterday with a Summit Winter Ale pizza dough, topped with homemade chorizo sausage, a chipotle-tomato sauce, red bell peppers, roasted tomatoes, black olives, red onions, and a combination of smoked cheddar and pepper jack cheeses. Sort of a "south of the border" pizza twist!

Spicy, smoky pizza



Sunday was cold with a high of 16 degrees. So, it was a chili kind of day. I spent the better part of the morning with prep work, including grinding my own chilies and spices (and let me tell you, if you have never ground your own chilies to make powder, be prepared for a lot of sneezing!). I made a nice and spicy batch of beef and chorizo chili to warm me up on this chilly January day.

I also baked honey cornbread muffins to accompany the chili. I used this recipe. The two darker muffins in the front were dusted with ancho chile powder for a tasty little experiment. Good stuff.



Chili and cornbread...mmmm!



Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails