Saturday, January 09, 2010

Sub zero Saturday

Saturday morning treated me to another sub zero run. It was -15 degrees when I left and warmed to all of -10 by the time I finished. I managed 8 1/2 miles. And believe it or not, it was not terribly uncomfortable!

I was planning to go much shorter due to the temperature. But the saving grace was that there was not a breath of wind. It was perfectly calm. I cannot tell you what a huge difference this makes. Dressed appropriately in multiple layers, and since they plowed the trails again after Thursday's dusting of snow, creating a fast surface with good footing, I kept on going and got in a decent run on a chilly day.

The only sign of life, aside from the chickadees, cardinals, and blue jays, was a lone runner. She was dressed in the same kind of attire as me. We exchanged a muffled "Good morning" through our face masks. At least, that is what I think she said... :)

The rest of the day has been spent in the warmth of the kitchen with some sports on in the background. I found some pork shoulder butt on sale, so it was necessary to make some homemade spicy Italian sausage (to be used in tomorrow's dish). And for dinner, I was craving something spicy and flavorful, so I made shrimp pad Thai.

Pad Thai on a chilly January night



I love pad Thai! I break with tradition and use the thin rice stick noodles instead of the wider, flatter variety. I just prefer the angel hair-like texture. In any case, it was a delicious, spicy, and colorful dish to warm me up on yet another chilly Minnesota evening!

Staying warm,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails