Sunday, February 28, 2010

Curry up!

No running today, so let's talk cooking...

As noted in an earlier post, I made some of my own curry powder this past weekend. The recipe I used was this one from Tyler Florence (scroll down on the page for the recipe - it also appears in his cookbook, "Eat This Book").

I took whole spices - coriander, cumin, fennel, mustard, cloves, cardamom, black peppercorns, and a few dried red chilies (I added more than the recipe called for), toasted the spices in a skillet, and whizzed them up in my electric spice grinder. Once everything was finely ground into a powder, I added the ground turmeric and gave it a final zap to incorporate. There is nothing like the smell of freshly toasted and ground spices, and the aroma of this exotic spice blend was amazing.

Freshly ground curry powder



Let's cook!

I used my fresh curry powder in an Asian-style noodle stir-fry, fashioned very loosely after a Singapore fried rice noodle recipe in Nina Simonds', "Asian Noodles" cookbook. An assortment of veggies stir-fried with garlic, ginger, and curry powder, along with some twice-cooked five spice pork tenderloin (ground my own five spice powder for that, too - I can discuss that another time!), shrimp, and rice stick noodles, with a light, thin sauce consisting of chicken stock and soy sauce.

Stir-fried rice stick noodles with curry, twice-cooked pork, and shrimp



Delicious. And spicy! I loved the blend of curry powder. Such an interesting flavor. And what a difference it makes when the powder if fresh. So much brighter and livelier. It was a tasty and light Saturday night meal with plump shrimp and yummy bits of roasted pork.

Be warned - the noodles, when coated with a light layer of this spicy yellow sauce, will stain the hell of of anything they touch, as my kitchen towels will attest to. :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails