Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Day of the Dogs

I have this newer 5.3 mile loop that I have been running fairly regularly in recent weeks. It is fairly rolling with a few hills, but nothing dramatic. Today I decided to mix it up and run it in reverse. For some reason, it felt like there was a tremendous amount of uphill running going this way! How strange. The elevation gain and loss has to be the same, so it is funny how that works. Perception is everything? Anyhow, it was a good run and a nice afternoon.

Today was also a day for the dogs. During the course of my run, I encountered another runner with a golden retriever (by all accounts, a very nice breed) that barked and snarled at me. The apologetic owner stopped and reigned in the dog so I could go by. But then the dog got away from her and came after me again, continuing to growl! Wow, this pooch didn't like me much!

Not to be outdone, a half mile down the trail, I was closing in on a guy walking an excitable black lab who was meeting a lady walking three even more excitable pointers. Chaos ensued as a WWE-style "royal rumble" took place in the middle of the trail between the four playful puppies. I had to stop completely and pass through a snowbank on the trail's edge to get by while the owners tried to play an unsuccessful zone defense in an attempt to separate the happy hounds.

The topper, however, was this:



Every year my folks check out the John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon up on the North Shore. This race is has an interesting history in that it is based on an old sled dog mail route from the late 1800's where the mail was delivered by the legendary John Beargrease. They have this deal where you can get a commemorative stamped envelope that was actually carried during the race and signed by one of the sled dog mushers before being circulated into the regular mail. This letter from my Mom was in my mailbox tonight.

That's right, folks. The mail still arrives by sled dog in these parts! And, believe it or not, their delivery time was better than some online retailers. :)

Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails