Saturday, February 20, 2010

A half marathon, a few pound, and some soup

This morning I ran my own half marathon. A shade over 13 miles today, and it was a nice morning to run.

The temperature was around 19 degrees when I started, but winds were relatively calm, and the skies, which started fairly clear, became overcast. Cardinals and chickadees were singing like crazy, and I heard an exuberant red-bellied woodpecker doing his "kwirrrr!" vocalization (first time I have heard that since fall). All in all, a pleasant day on the trails.

There were a lot more runners out today. It would seem that some training groups were starting up, as I met a group of five women doing laps around the local lake. And I met several other seasoned runners who looked as if they were preparing for something. We are all getting pretty excited for spring in these parts!

I don't obsess about my weight, but I typically gain a few pounds in the winter. Some of this is because of running fewer miles this time of year (subsequently burning fewer calories), and some is because of eating heartier winter dishes, too.

About a month ago, I made a simple change - I quit snacking at work. No more getting the bagel for breakfast in the cafeteria, or heading down to the office gift shop for a candy bar, and no more keeping bags of Jelly Belly jellybeans in my desk. The only thing I eat at work is the lunch that I brought. Breakfast and dinner are at home.

I figure this is saving anywhere from 600 to 800 calories a day, depending on what kind of Jelly Belly bender I went on. I am already at my summer running weight, so I am feeling pretty good about that. Maybe this will make me faster as the racing season approaches? We will see!

Speaking of heartier winter dishes...tonight's homemade split pea soup with ham. :) My recipe is here.

Winter comfort food. Yum!



Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails