Saturday, February 06, 2010

Pictures of Matchstick Men

Saturday morning I did an easy 8 miler. It was a nice morning. Overcast, low 20's, not bad at all. I am still dealing with my cold, which has evolved into the runny nose and coughing up phlegm variety. So I really didn't want to push anything.

I sure have been having a tough time getting in some longer runs on weekends. First I dealt with all the snow from December, the bitter cold days, and the terrible trail conditions. Now that the trails are nice and smooth, I have a damned cold. And tomorrow afternoon is supposed to be the start of a significant snowstorm that promises to dump anywhere from 6 inches to a foot or more of snow (depending upon which weather forecaster you trust) and linger in the region through Tuesday. Yikes.

Following some errands today, I stopped at my local Culver's for lunch, which is often a Saturday ritual. Love their burgers! They always have some sort of 50's music playing inside the restaurant. Everly Brothers, Bobby Darin, stuff like that - sort of your quintessential, nostalgic burger joint music.

As I was eating my lunch, a new song starts up. I instantly recognized the violin intro. Surprised, I said to myself, "This is Camper Van Beethoven!"

CVB was an alternative rock band from my college days. And yes indeed, it was "Pictures of Matchstick Men," their cover of a Status Quo song, and their most successful hit. This song was from 1989. It was so out of place here.

Yet, I was loving the fact that it was playing. Who is the wonderful person that slipped this song into the lineup? Happily, I ate my burger and fries, humming along to the lyrics...

"Pictures of matchstick men and you,
Images of matchstick men and you
Alls I ever see is them and you"



Once the song finished, it was right back to the oldies with a succession of 50's music. It was uncanny, as if they played that song just for me. An unexpected treat to go along with my Butter Burger.

Thanks, Culver's!
Related Posts with Thumbnails