Friday, February 05, 2010

This week in Minnesota

Here is sort of a rundown of this week for me...

  • I've had several absolutely miserable commutes this week. Freezing rain, sleet, snow, you name it. The snow was so heavy and greasy this morning that I could barely make it up a not-very-steep hill with my car.
  • There is a good chance of snow all the way through Tuesday of next week, including a possible doozy of a snowstorm Sunday night into Monday, but the forecasters are holding their cards close to the vest.
  • I have a minor cold or something (scratchy, rattly throat with dry sinuses), so I am not entirely feeling like myself. I did go running this afternoon when I got home from work, but it was slow going and not a lot of fun (and the trails were probably in the best shape they have been in since before Christmas).
  • And, nothing to do with anything, but the guy I picked for my fantasy golf league this week (Robert Allenby) is playing mediocre at best.

In other words, it has been a less than exciting week here in the great state of Minnesota!

Whenever I feel a cold coming on, I reach for some spicy food because I like to think that a lot of chile peppers can kill just about any bug. So I whipped up some tacos for dinner tonight with my chorizo sausage, refried beans, Monterrey jack cheese, and two kinds of salsa - guajillo chile salsa, and a serrano salsa verde. Now that got the old sinuses running!

Friday night is taco night



And I don't really keep any "official" cold medicines at my place. In lieu of that, a homemade remedy that has worked from time to time involves a certain Scottish liquid with the words "Cask Strength" on the label. Similar to the chile theory, the belief is that anything rated at 116.4 proof should be able stop a cold bug dead in its tracks. :)

Take THAT, nasty cold!



Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails