Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ice out

The ice is completely gone from my local lake. Friday, there was a thin film of slush still floating on the surface, but today's 73 degrees and a strong south wind pretty much decimated what was left. Unreal - an ice out before April! Fantastic to see the water again.

Open water is a wonderful sight to see



I am feeling good a couple days after the Human Race. There is a little bit of stiffness in my thighs and calves after the extra effort on Sunday, but I am no worse for wear. I took in an easy 5 miler around the neighborhood today, happy to be running in shorts and a short sleeved T-shirt.

New spring bird arrivals: yesterday I spotted my first great blue heron of the season (flew right by my office window), and today, four wood ducks in a pond along the trail. The wood ducks' timing could not have been better. I was specifically looking for them at this pond, as they love to hang out here, and I figured they should be back soon. At that moment, I actually heard them before I saw them. Almost on cue, their familiar whistle echoed across the water as they flew over my head and coasted into the pond. It was uncanny. They are such gorgeous birds! Great to have them back

A belated recap of my Saturday night prerace meal - Spicy lamb and Italian sausage ragu! I made this in the style of a Bolognese sauce with all sorts of aromatics - carrots, celery, fennel, onion, garlic, fresh rosemary and thyme, lots of crushed red pepper, and a small amount of dried cumin and coriander (a little trick I learned in the "Urban Italian" cookbook) - along with tomatoes, red wine, tomato paste, and beef stock. The Italian sausage was the last of my homemade stuff (need to make more). I served it over fusilli. A very good effort, and the leftovers have been making for some fantastic lunches this week. Perhaps this is the reason for my new 8k PR? :)

Powered by pasta!



Until next time,

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails