Saturday, March 13, 2010

Spring ahead

The skies have been cloudy and overcast since Tuesday, so why should I expect anything less on Saturday? :) I woke up to 38 degrees, cloudy skies, a strong wind out of the north, along with clammy and humid conditions. Not bad for running, but I could have done without the wind.

I put in 16 miles on the trails. Overall, a pretty good run, although I did get a little tired towards the end. To be expected as I am building up my mileage again, I suppose.

With the exception of one of my favorite trails that don't get plowed in the winter, everything else is cleared off. We have lost so much snow over the past week and a half or so with the intense melting. Here are a couple comparison shots to show how far we have come.

One of my local trails - January 19, 2010



Same location - March 13, 2010



In the last week, we have become inundated with ducks and geese. I noticed great numbers of them on my run. I also heard some rooster ring-necked pheasants doing their crowning from nearby fields, another sign of spring. Otherwise, it was my usual suspects; cardinals, chickadees, blue jays, and red-bellied woodpeckers, happily singing away, biding their time until the "tourists" arrive.

Tonight's dinner was old school, and from school - tater tot hot dish! Love this stuff, as it reminds me of elementary school, only my rendition is much better with the use of fresh herbs, ground chuck, crimini mushrooms, and artisan extra-sharp cheddar cheese. Lunchlady Doris would be jealous.

School lunch kicked up a notch, as Emeril would say!



Remember to set those clocks ahead, those who observe daylight savings time. Looking forward to the sun setting after 7 PM!

Jean
Related Posts with Thumbnails